All I Wanted
Monday, August 16, 2010 @ 9:35 PM

As you insisted, Ena.

...........

I bought a silver charm bracelet yesterday. Just a plain bracelet. No charms. I couldn’t afford any charms. I’ve been working so hard, despite my massive study load from school. Senior year is tough. My schedule is always just so tight. So, I decided to reward myself a little for my birthday. Yes, today is my birthday. I wonder if anyone remembers. It’s really quite alright if no one does though. I’d rather everyone stick to their priorities and not waste time on me. I like the idea of a quiet birthday. It’s completely unnecessary to make a big deal out of my age. A nice, calm day is enough to ensure I am content on this ordinary day.

I make sure the two ends of my bracelet are clipped together tightly and push myself up off the bed. My eye catches the light through the window. Its bright luminous glow is just so lovely. I look outside and see a lot of kids in their shorts, tank tops and thongs running around with a towel. I grab my own towel from a hook, slip on a pair of yellow thongs and open the door. It is quiet outside. I guess everyone is busy getting on with their relaxing summer holiday.

I leave the house with a bright smile and then follow the lingering smell of sunscreen from the kids, trailing down towards the beach. I am so excited to feel the sand between my toes and breeze through my hair. I look down at my bracelet. It reminds me that today is my day to relax. My birthday does not need to be scheduled for books. I should be able to embrace the warm, laid-back feeling of a summer’s day.

***

“Who would’ve thought that Samantha would be found relaxing at the beach?”
I open my eyes to find Jim starring at me.
“Happy birthday, beautiful!” he shouts and hugs me.
“Thank you,” I reply. “What are you doing here?”
“Can’t I see my own girlfriend on her birthday?”
“I thought you have work,” I state in confusion.
“Well I realised where my priorities are.”
I can’t help but smile at his response.

We lay at the beach with our eyes closed. I feel the sun, gracefully stroking my skin and the cool salty wind brushing against my warm cheeks. It feels so good not to be occupied with activities, one after the other for once. I suddenly feel something warm and smooth against my cheeks, alongside the cool wind. It’s just so comforting. I intertwine my fingers into the gentle ones against my face. I open my eyes to find Jim starring at me again, behind the glistening silver from my wrist. For a short moment our eyes remain fixed upon each other. I feel our pulses pounding against each other between our hands.

We snap back into reality as a silver glow hits me in the eye. I take my silver bracelet off and place it onto my beach towel. I stand up and run down the beach, towards the water. I look back at Jim, gesturing for him to follow. He smiles at me, but declines my request. I know he’ll come sooner or later, so I continue down into the waves. I close my eyes and dip my head into the salty water. As I come up, a cool and relieving sensation rushes down my body. It feels like I have been exfoliated of all the worries and anxieties from the past few months. I flick my wet hair back and the water drips down my bare back. I look down at my bikini and find a seaweed strip tucked into it. I quickly drop into the water and remove the slimy green piece to save myself from any embarrassment.

I walk back up the beach to where Jim is.
“I saw that,” he says laughing.
I grab the towel and wrap it around my wet body, paying extra attention to where the seaweed caught on.
“I’ll go get us something to eat and drink,” Jim announces and walks off, towards the little kiosk.

I sit down on the sand, wriggling my toes around and letting the grains run through my fingers. If only I can filter out all that is complicated in life every day. I sigh in admiration of the little children who run around in their swimmers, with no care in the world. I bet they get to do this all the time.

Realisation suddenly strikes.
“Where is it? Oh no, where is it?”
My hands desperately pat the sand. I grab against it, feeling for something hard. I look around, tears starting to accumulate in my eyes.
“No! I worked so hard for this.”
My hands continue to search. My feet even start to move along the sand.

“What’s wrong, dear?” a voice asks from behind.
“It’s gone!” I exclaim, as I turn around to face Jim.
He brushes the tears from my cheeks.
“You mean this?” He holds up the silver bracelet, no longer just a plain bracelet.

I snatch it out of his hands and hold it close to me. I then look at him in confusion. He smiles back at me and takes it from me again. He unclips the hook and clips the ends together around my hand, kissing it. “Happy birthday, beautiful,” he says again. I look down at the glistening silver around my wrist as well as the glowing heart that hangs from it.

***

I did say I don’t need a lot of attention on my birthday. However, the thought this person has given to me today has made all the difference. He remembered. He was there. He knew the truth. The reality is that I do care. Maybe only a little, but it’s that little bit that has made all the difference. One little charm to my plain silver bracelet has made all the difference on this extraordinary day.

Labels: ,

0 comments

Post a Comment

emergency

SO.PHI
As I burn another page. As I look the other way. I still try to find my place in the diary of... I'm longing, for words to describe how I'm feeling. All your twisted thoughts free flow to everlasting memories. The whispers turn to shouting. The shouting turns to tears. Your tears turn into laughter. And it takes away our fears.
Music speaks for me ♫

all we know
Photobucket All you need to know :P
• music - piano. guitar. drums. rock. paramore. blg. flyleaf
• gdpt
• myheart
• tree quad squad (now shelter floor people lol)
• chocolate

thisheartitbeats
beatsforonlyyou

all i wanted
ipod touch (32GB)
• electric acoustic guitar
• grand piano
• yellow car
• BLG CDs and merchandise
• paramore merchandise
• a break
• re-smart-ify my maths-ness
• write more
• regain my creative past
... only in my dreams
nah.. what i really want is a hug and smile (:

looking up
aspirations 2010
• instrumental skills improve (piano, guitar, drums)
• maintain balance between work, studies, gdpt, social life, co-curricular activities and hobbies
• stay healthy and fit
• don't stress
• work the white shirt xD
stuck on you
aileen / ana / charlene / ena / hiuy / kimmy / sally / stephen shirley / wendy /

here we go again

my hero
layout by naomi :D | inspired by x_empty / electro-pop%
others : x / x / x / x

never let this go
J • 3 words 8 letters • thunder • bum/bul bee
E • wife • besty • spongebob&patrick
SHS • drama09 • monkey&scarecrow • blue

myheartisyours
it'syours